Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Green Smoothie

I have finally found the perfect combo for a green smoothie. I have  been interested in green smoothies because I  am not the greatest at finding ways to incorporate spinach or kale or other leafy greens into my diet (unless I'm having a salad, which I really enjoy, but I feel like this is just another way to get in a veggie for breakfast). Anyway, I've tried about 5 different combos and none of them have turned out that great. Most have been okayish but I could still tell that I had a leaf in my drink.
It has four ingredients which I love because it's super cheap and I also feel like there is a lot of room to experiment.

Green Smoothie
1 1/2 c orange juice (I use trop 50)
1 frozen banana
1 pear
1 c frozen kale

Blend all ingredients and drink up! I don't have a blender, just my blending stick, so there were still little tiny pieces of kale whereas I think if you use a blender you can completely get rid of the pieces. Also, I'm sure you could substitute spinach and your greens wouldn't have to be frozen, it's just cheaper for me that way.

I'm gonna be honest and say that the orange juice base is the strongest flavor, and I'm also pretty sure that's what I was missing with my other recipes. Not necessarily the OJ but something other than milk as the base. I'm pretty sure I'll be making variations of this for breakfast several times a week! Yum!

Let me know if you have a good green smoothie recipe! I'd love to hear 'em

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to close my eyes the whole time drinking it, then check my teeth for greens when I finished, but it sounds yumm! I love the idea of banana/pear combo. Maybe I'll try it...without any greens. Muahahaha!

    Love you...I think you are brave to drink a green smoothie

    ReplyDelete