Monday, April 18, 2011

Hash browns from scratch

These are my made from scratch hash browns. They are super easy and delicious!
My recipe:
 2 Russet Potatoes (or however many you need, but 2 was plenty for two people with some leftovers)
T of oil
-plus whatever add-ins you want.

It seems like it would be easy to do hash browns, just grate the potato and cook, right? Well, I have the secret to making them even better! Cooking them before you cook them! Ha, bet you didn't see that one coming.
Seriously though, boil your potatoes for about 8-10 minutes (I did mine for the full 10 and I think next time I'll cut it a little short cause I like mine to still have a bit of a crunch to them). After you've boiled them drain and cool for at least 5 minutes before grating. The recipe I used says to peel before grating and the skin does come off pretty easily but I didn't really do this, however I might next time. After you've let them cool and grated them, heat about 1 T of oil in a frying pan at about med-high heat. Then brown the potatoes to your liking. I added about a 1/4 of a white onion to mine and it was delicious!

Next time: I will not boil for so long, maybe peel the skin off, wait longer to grate (I only waited about 2 minutes) and I will cook them in batches. I did it all at once and it took longer and was not so easy to get each grated potato piece golden brown the way I would have liked, but then again I'm just lazy and if it can sort of fit into the pan at once then why not?
Real recipe: says to use butter AND oil! Totally not necessary, why would you need both? I just used the oil and most people who commented on the recipe I got online said that both was too much and they ended up being very greasy so probably a good thing I didn't try with both cause that's the last thing I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment