Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Update No. 5: Make up

This update is out of order, but I really felt the need to post it today. About three weeks ago (and last week) I acquired some new beauty products and I've rediscovered some old favs. Mostly just straight up make up but one new hair product. I took a picture of them and a few close ups (I figure that my make up posts are probably really boring and pictures might actually entice you to read them. Or not).

Old Favs: Mac Paint Pot in Painterly. It's a great matte base for my eyelids. I use a small Mac brush to apply (not sure which brush, I should have included it). I really like it because it doesn't add a lot of color but has a perfect tone for my eyelids. I probably wouldn't use it if I was going to add a lot of color to my lid but for lighter lid tones it's a great base. Another fav is my Mac eyeshadow in Naked Lunch (I forgot to include the picture, but it's almost gone, and with the light in my bathroom you probably wouldn't be able to see it's wonderful color). It's a great, very light champagne-y shimmer. I love using it to brighten up my inner lid and around the tear-area. I also use it a lot to blend dark colors around my brow bone, basically I use it for pretty much everything. Another rediscovery is two great colors in my Mac eyeshadow kit shown. I love the two middle colors: Hush a Plum and Trax. The first is a great matte color and the second is a very beautiful dark shimmery purple. It's not too purpley though, you know? I'm not swiping on some grape Popsicle color on. It's a great color for me because I've got hazel eyes and they really bring out the green.


The hair product is Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray. It's supposed to help enhance beach waves. I've only used it a few times and want to give it a few more shots. However, every time I've used it, by the time I get home and look in the mirror I'm not thrilled with what I see. My hair looks messy, and separated, but not in the way that most people wish their curls were separated, and it also looks a tad frizzy. I'd really like to love it because I love the other B&B products I've tried.

New make up finds: I finally got the Nars Orgasm stick, and if you don't remember I've been really interested in trying it. My Mom bought the powder version of this and it's really great on her. She and I (although I think I may have a bit more pink undertones) have similar coloring and so I thought it'd be great on me. It's...okay. I haven't decided yet. I rub it on the apple of my cheek (that's where blush goes if you didn't know) and then sort of rub it in a bit with my finger. I just can't tell if it's a good color for me. It's got a lot of shimmer to it and it's a bit more orangey-golden. It's not straight up orange, but I just don't know how to explain it. It would look fabulous on someone with more freckles, pinker skin and definitely someone who is a lot tanner. I don't know, I'm going to give it some more goes. My new bathroom lighting is throwing me off completely but I'm getting the hang of it.


I also got some Nars eyeshadow. The duo shown is called: Habanera.The color on the left is a really stunning, shimmery brown with some purple to it. The other color, while very pretty is a bit of a pickle for me. It's very icey blue when it goes on and this type of color is very foreign to me. I need to experiment more with it, cause it's so pretty but it really stands out when it goes on.


In my past make up posts I had purchased the Mac Studio Tech and was pretty happy with it. But, I had heard that Shiseido made a great concealer that really lasted. Since I'm outside a lot (no car) and the temps are really starting to creep up I want something that isn't going to melt off my face. I ordered their Natural Finish Cream Concealer and I really like it. You only need a tad but I love it for my under eye area. I don't like to put a heavy concealer there since the skin is so tender and I like this one a lot.

I have also begun trying what's offered at the grocery store. There are, like, 3 aisles of make up at my Smiths and then at the Target near me I think there are 5+ so there's gotta be something worthwhile there, right? Well, I picked up L'Oreal's Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base and it comes in a little pot, you can see it to the left in my pic. Today was the first day trying it on under make up (yesterday I had the day off and didn't wear make up but put this on to see how I liked the feel). So far, I love it! I previously wasn't using a face/make up primer (other than the Nars for my eyes, see previous post) and I love the way this has made my face feel. It has made my face feel so silky and soft. So far, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Next from the grocery store is the Almay One Coat, Get Up and Grow Mascara. I read that it was a great mascara for definition and to help keep your eyelashes healthy. I've had it for about a month now and it's not bad. It reminds me of this Clinique mascara that I used to swear by. It's great for separation but as far as volume it's not great.

I have a list of a few to try but I'll just let you know as I pick them up.

Make up from my last post I'm still using: MAC eye shadow in Mulch, MAC Pain Pot in Reubenesque and I'm using Reubenesque with my new Nars eyeshadow. MAC blush in Well Dressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment