Saturday, May 7, 2011

Shrimp Pad Thai with a few minor adjustments

Shrimp Pad Thai- Except there are no flat rice noodles or peanuts. So, basically it's yummy shrimp and pad thai sauce stuff over rice. It was really good though, and so easy. I say that for all my recipes because I don't do complicated but this one literally took me 20 minutes I think? If you have the rice cooking while you're doing everything else it works out perfectly.

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces uncooked flat rice noodles (pad Thai noodles)
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon Sriracha or chili garlic sauce
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup (2-inch) green onion pieces
  • 8 ounces peeled and deveined large shrimp
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
  • 1/4 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
  • 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil  
Preparation
  • 1. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
  • 2. While water comes to a boil, combine sugar and next 4 ingredients (through Sriracha) in a small bowl.
  • 3. Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion pieces, shrimp, and garlic; stir-fry 2 minutes or until shrimp is almost done. Add cooked noodles; toss to combine. Stir in sauce; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly to combine. Arrange about 1 cup noodle mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup bean sprouts, 1 tablespoon peanuts, and 2 teaspoons basil.
My version: I didn't have the noodles obviously, or the siracha sauce. this is the second time I've come across a recipe that calls for this so maybe I'll get some?  I also did not have sprouts, lime juice or the peanuts and I didn't use 5 garlic cloves! Doesn't that seem like a lot? Although, maybe the flavor would have been a lot stronger.
Anyway, make this! The amount says 4 servings but really, I would say 2 1/2 depending on who you're cooking for and how much you normally eat.

Also, I should have taken a picture of Boyf's plate. It was much prettier than my bowl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment