Monday, May 2, 2011

Tuscan Lemon Muffins

This morning I made some lemon muffins and they took about 30 minutes, they were so quick and they really turned out. Here is a picture of the batch to entice you to keep reading
Recipe:

  • 7 9/10 ounces all-purpose flour (1 3/4 cups)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar 
     
    • 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
    • 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt); make a well in center. Combine ricotta and next 5 ingredients (through egg). Add ricotta mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
    • 3. Place 12 muffin-cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray. Divide batter among muffin cups. Sprinkle turbinado sugar over batter. Bake at 375° for 16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
     
    These really turned out and like I said they were really easy. I did spend a minute mashing up the ricotta cheese but it still had a few small clumps when I put them in the muffin cups to cook.
    Here's an up-close of a half eaten muffin. Yum!
     
    Boyf took me to the grocery store and I had to pick up some muffin cups and they pretty much only had two choices, princess or transformers. My first instinct was the princess ones of course, but Boyf pointed out the transformer ones to me, twice. So, I felt like I had to pick them.
    Also, a recipe note, I would recommend using the turbinado sugar for sure on top, it made them look profesh and I really liked the little extra crunch on top after they'd slightly baked in. And really, it's not expensive, like, $2 for a pretty decently sized bag.

1 comment: